When was the last time you slowed down the pace of your life and paused to check in with yourself? If you can’t recall when, then you haven’t been taking good care of yourself enough. We focus on looking after our family, homes, jobs, partners, colleagues, and friends that sometimes we forget to take good care of ourselves in between this all.
Self-care for some people is an overlooked matter, little do they know that lack of self-care can stand in the way of many things and hinder our ability to move on with life. The end result? We start to resent everything and everyone around us while the fault is ours for not taking a moment to slow down and look after our needs.
First things first. What does self-care really mean?
Simply, self-care is when the needs of the mind, body, and soul are met, promoting a healthier, happier, and more fulfilled life.
How to tell if you haven’t been practicing self-care enough?
• You feel overwhelmed
• You don’t feel a lot like yourself
• You constantly feel like running around
• You are exhausted.
While there are a lot of rituals to practice self-love, here’s a minimized starter pack for the mind, body, and soul:
1. Get enough sleep.
2. Go out in the sun and get some fresh air.
3. Follow a healthy, balanced diet and exercise, even a little.
4. Take your vitamins.
5. Relax in a bubble both.
6. Listen to your body.
7. Take a break.
8. Keep your favorite music in the background.
9. Say ‘no’ to plans you don’t want, and yes to self-care.
11. Visit the spa more often
12. Count your blessings every morning.
13. Set boundaries.
14. Forgive yourself for the mistakes you’ve done.
15. Relax with a good book.
16. Find comfort in silence.
17. Take yourself out on dates, or enjoy quality time with people you love.
18. Prioritize and manage your time better.
20. Spend more time doing the things you love, and find new hobbies.