Chia seeds are a superfood that has recently gained more attention from the health community. Chia seeds are derived from the Salvia Hispanica plant which is native to Mexico and Guatemala. Those tiny seeds were a staple food for the ancient Mayans and Aztecs and in ancient Mayans, ‘chia’ means ‘strength’. Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, as well as several minerals, they are a must-have in your kitchen. Here are some of the benefits of chia seeds.
1. Excellent detoxifiers and aid in digestion due to their high fiber content.
2. Fill you up with myriads of nutrients such as magnesium, protein, manganese, calcium, and phosphorus while with very few calories.
3. All the carbs found in chia seeds are mainly fiber.
4. They can lower your risk of heart disease.
5. Chia seeds are good for your bones.
6. Can help reduce chronic inflammation.
7. Are very high in antioxidants.
8. Chia seeds can lower your blood sugar levels and are very helpful for people
with type 2 diabetes.
9. Give an energy boost.
10. Aid in weight loss.
Tiny but mighty, those seeds are versatile enough to be added to sweet and savory dishes. You sprinkle them on a salad or yogurt, add them to your baked goodies, or make a chia pudding.
Here’s a 4-ingredient chia pudding for a delicious and nutritious breakfast or snack.
• 2 tablespoons chia seed
• ½ cup of almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
• Fruit of your choice
1. In a jar, add 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to half a cup of milk and stir.
2. Mix well until the chia seeds are incorporated into the milk, wait a few minutes to settle then mix again. This will make sure it won’t separate in the fridge.
3. After you make sure it’s all mixed up well and has no clumps, add a bit of honey according to your preference and leave in the fridge for two hours, or you can leave it overnight.
4. By the time you get it out of the fridge, the chia seeds would have absorbed the liquid creating a thick consistency pudding. If it is still liquid in form, add a bit more chia and place it in the fridge again.
5. Once ready, slice some fruits of your choice on top and enjoy the delicious and healthy treat.