Often used in aromatherapy, essential oils are plant extracts that are used in alternative medicine to support emotional and physical wellbeing. The use of essential oil is not recent, in fact, the century-old practice has proven its effectiveness in treating myriads of issues such as sleeplessness, nausea, anxiety, and different body pains. Each essential oil has its own healing properties and is used for a different function. Here are the top 5 essential oils and their benefits.
1. Lavender: Lavender is among the most popular and is known for its calming and relaxing properties which makes it ideal if you are suffering from anxiety or sleep disorders.
2. Frankincense: This oil has extensive health benefits for the mind, body, and soul. With its impressing anti-inflammatory properties, frankincense can soothe sore muscles and joints and can also treat rashes and burns. Additionally, frankincense has antiseptic and disinfectant properties. Frankincense can also promote oral health and regenerates skin cells. You can also use this oil to reduce stress and feel calmer.
3. Peppermint: Peppermint is best for digestive problems and helps to ease irritable bowel syndrome symptoms as well as relieving feelings of nausea and upset stomach. Peppermint oil also eliminates fatigue and if you apply a little to your shoulders and the back of your neck, it will give you an energy boost throughout the day.
4. Tea Tree: This has been long known as the ultimate go-to for acne-prone skin for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Also, tea-tree oil can rid your hair of dandruff and can relieve dry scalp and any of its symptoms.
5. Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus oil can be of great help is you are suffering from a cold as it helps you breathe better, clears your chest, and silences your cough. It can also relieve sinus problems, relieve sore throat, and controls allergies.
How to use essential oils?
Essential oils can be used in various ways like inhaling, added in a diffuser, or topically by directly applying it to your skin but in that case you need to add a carrier oil to avoid irritation.
Carrier oils you can include are:
• Coconut oil
• Sweet almond oil
• Jojoba oil
• Argan oil
• Rosehip oil