Spanish Civil Guards stand next to their patrol car which was damaged by protesters outside the Catalan region's economy ministry building during a raid by Spanish police on government offices, in Barcelona, Spain September 21, 2017. REUTERS/Jon Nazca
MADRID - 22 September 2017: Spanish police have arrested a Moroccan man suspected of cooperating with a cell that carried out the attacks that killed 16 people in Barcelona and a nearby seaside resort last month, Spain's interior minister said Friday.
The man, who lives in Spain, was detained in the eastern town of Castellon, Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said in a Twitter message without providing further details.
In August a group of jihadists, many of them of Moroccan origin, killed 16 people in two attacks using vehicles and knives in Barcelona and the seaside resort of Cambrils in northeastern Spain.
The main suspects in the attacks, claimed by the Islamic State group, were of Moroccan origin, but most had lived in Spain for several years.
Police shot dead six of the suspected members of the cell that carried out the attacks and arrested another four. Two other suspects died in an explosion at a house used by the plotters at Alcanar, southwest of Barcelona.