Ahmed Hegazy – Press image courtesy Al Ahly official website.
CAIRO -16 July 2017: After he passed the medical tests for the West Bromwich Albion national team, Ahmed Hegazy joins the English club for one season on a loan contract. He became the fourth Egyptian to play in the Premier League next season along with Mohamed Salah, Mohamed El Nenny and Ramadan Sobhy.
Hegazy will be the sixth player from Al Ahly to join a Premier League football team logo. The following five players preceded him:
1. Ibrahim Said joined Everton on a loan contract in 2004; however, his behavior led to the end of his professional career in the Premier League. He returned to Al Ahly after 6 months.
2. Ahmed Fathi left Al Ismaily to join Sheffield United in 2007. He won the African Cup of Nations in 2006 with the national team. Fathi’s journey with the Premier League did not last long. He also returned to Egypt and joined Al Ahly after 7 months
3. Mohamed Shawky came from the Al Masry youth team. He joined Al Ahly in 2003 and won three Egyptian League titles and two African Champions League titles. Middleborough FC signed him in a free transfer in 2007, and Shawky managed to play with Middleborough for 3 seasons.
4. Al Ahly’s current captain, Hossam Ghaly, had a good experience in the Premier League. He joined Tottenham Hotspur in the winter of 2006. He transferred from the Dutch club Feyenoord to play in the Premier League for two seasons. However, his journey to the Premier League ended abruptly too.
5. The talented young Egyptian Ramadan Sobhy joined Stoke City in the beginning of last year’s Premier League. Sobhy showed great performance with Stoke City. His talent led him to be one of the most important players for the club and the Egyptian national team.