Winter is coming! Stay warm with these classic recipes for pumpkin pie, and the seasonal favorite - pumpkin soup.
Classic Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients 2 cups pumpkin purée 1 1/2 cups cream 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup white sugar 1/2 tsp salt 3 eggs 2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp ground ginger 1/4 tsp each ground nutmeg, cloves, cardamom 1/2 tsp lemon zest 1 ready-made pie crust
1. To make puree, cut a large pumpkin in half. Scrape out the insides and discard.
2. Slice and place on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F until a fork can easily pierce them, about an hour to an hour and a half. Remove from oven, let cool, scoop out the pulp.
3. Preheat oven to 450 F.
4. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the sugars, salt, spices, and lemon zest. Mix in the pumpkin purée. Stir in the cream. Beat everything together.
5. Pour the filling into a prepared pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 350°F and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Pumpkin Soup[caption id="attachment_522750" align="alignnone" width="620"] pumpkin soup[/caption]
Ingredients 2 cups pumpkin puree 2 shallots, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups stock 1 cup cooking cream 2 tbsp honey 1/4 tsp each salt, black pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg
1. To prepare the pumpkin puree, preheat oven to 350 F and line a tray with a baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, slice off the top of a large pumpkin and then halve them. Use a sharp spoon to scrape out all of the seeds.
2. Brush scoops with oil and place face down on baking sheet. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Peel away skin.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in shallot and garlic, sauté until slightly browned.
4. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Spoon in pumpkin and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
5. Blitz soup mixture in a blender. Pour mixture back into saucepan and leave to simmer another 10 minutes.