CAIRO - 21 September 2023: As a mother, preparing your kids' lunch box everyday could be a challenging task, where you try to provide a balanced meal, while still adding ingredients that they love.
And the repeated question: What to include and what to exclude? We feel your confusion, that's why we asked Dr. Manal Ezzedine, a researcher at the Institute of Food Technology at at the Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation who explained the Do's and Dont's of your kids' lunchbox.
According to Ezzedin, eating during the school day should be about 30% of your children's daily needs.
She further explained that to ensure that the nutritional needs of your children are met for their growth, the lunch box should include both Protein to build body tissues and minerals and vitamins to strengthen immunity and have a source of energy.
What is in?
Sources of Minerals and Vitamins:
Guava - apples - dates - grapes - bananas - pears - cucumbers - olives, carrots - potatoes.
Sources of Protein:
Omelettes eggs - cheese crepes - burgers, kofta prepared at home - cheese extracted from milk.
Sources of Energy:
Halva - jam - dates - peanut butter
Popcorn - chickpeas - peanuts - nuts - dried fruits - Dates biscuits - cupcakes
In addition to water and milk.
What is out?
Harmful to bones and teeth:
Store-bought juices and soft drinks
Harmful on blood vessels and arteries:
Cheese with vegetarian fat
Containing Sodium nitrate:
Ready-made and processed meats
Fast spoiled foods:
Contain artificial colors and monosodium glutamate:
Causes hyperactivity and distraction:
Further Tips for your children's health:
Ezz El-Din also gave a number of tips that should be taken into consideration, which are:
-It is preferable to put local or whole-grain brown bread.
- Make sure the food box and water bottle are labeled with the number 5 (type of plastic).
- Pay attention to washing the water bottle and the lunch box daily.
- Children need to drink water to protect against headaches
- Making sure children eat breakfast because it increases the state of concentration and academic achievement.
- Breakfast can be very simple such as:
A banana, a cup of yogurt sweetened with white honey, a cup of cocoa with milk, wheat with milk, or breakfast cereal with milk
- Make sure your children eat fish once a week for its positive effect on brain health
- Children need to be exercising and sleep for 7-8 hours a day.