There is no doubt that winter is the cruelest season to our skin, and as the temperature keeps dropping down and the weather gets drier, our skin gets dry too. The harsh climate of this season can wreak havoc on your skin and strip away its glow and suppleness. This is why when it comes to this season, your skin will need extra love and care as well as some tweaking in the routine to keep it hydrated and to avoid flakiness, itching, and dryness. Here is how you can save your skin from the harsh weather of winter.
1. Change your cleanser. If the cleanser you usually use is gel-based, switch to creamy cleanser instead. Gel cleansers can strip away your skin’s natural oils. So, how to know this cleanser will dry out your face? If it makes your skin feels tighter, then you need a milder and more moisturizing cleanser. Cream-based cleansers on the other hand can help protect the skin barrier. Another good alternative to use is natural soaps.
2. Switch night creams with overnight masks. Instead of applying your usual night cream, overnight masks are more beneficial for the skin and are excellent in revitalizing dry skin. Just make sure you are buying the right product designed for overnight treatment and not one that needs to be rinsed off immediately.
3. Hydrate and moisturize. Moisturizers alone won’t be enough if you do not hydrate from the inside. In winter, we tend to forget to drink water throughout the day which eventually results in dehydration and dull skin. Also, when it comes to moisturizers, opt for ones thicker in formula to help lock the moisture in your skin.
4. You still need to wear sunscreen. We tend to reach out for sunscreen only during the warmer months of the year. But summer being over doesn’t mean it is ok to give up on sunscreen. Even in winter, the sun’s harmful UV light can still damage your skin and break its moisture barrier.
5. Avoid steaming hot showers. In cold weather, it is definitely tempting to turn up the shower temperature but this can cause a lot of damage and irritation to the skin. Keep the showers short and at lukewarm temperature to avoid stripping your skin of its natural oils. Also, it is very important to moisturize your skin right after the shower.