President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi inaugurating Damietta Furniture City in May 2017 - Press photo
CAIRO – 13 December 2017: "Damietta governorate launched the second phase of land plots in Damietta Furniture City," Governor Abdel Hamid Taha announced Wednesday.
“The city is now equipped with a LE 400 million sewage network, a LE 452 million power plant, a LE 20 million communication network and a LE 12 million natural gas network,” Taha said in a press conference.
"A value of LE 700 million has so far been spent on the project," managing director of Damietta Furniture Company Moataz Bahaa el-Din stated, noting that 90 percent of the project is completed.
The project aims at developing the industry of furniture by using modern technology. The estimated cost of the Damietta Furniture City project ranges between LE 4.5 and LE 5 billion.
The cost of the first and second phases of the project is predicted at LE 1.1 billion.
Damietta is known to be the Egyptian hub for the furniture industry, where 70 percent of exported furniture comes from the city.
The Damietta Furniture City project, launched in 2015, is being built on 331 acres of land, and is expected to include at least 2000 workshops and 55 factories. The project is set to provide over 40,000 direct jobs and 120,000 indirect jobs, as well as boasting a capacity of 2,400 furniture factories and workshops.
Egyptians consume LE 15 billion worth of furniture per year, 60 percent of them is locally produced, while the remaining 40 percent is imported, according the Chamber of Woodworking and Furniture.
Leave a Comment