High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell - European Parliament
CAIRO – 19 July 2020: The High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell, called on Turkey to stop its repeated violations of UN resolutions banning the supply of arms to Libya.
The statement called on Turkey to “cooperate with European institutions and countries and engage in the pacification process, whether by stopping the repeated violations of the UN resolution banning the supply of arms to Libya and stopping illegal exploration in the Eastern Mediterranean”, according to the Italian News Agency AKI.
Borrell's statement came during a press conference held on Monday in Brussels after a meeting of foreign ministers from European Union member states.
The European Union "suggested taking further measures against Turkey to respond to the challenges posed by its disturbing and threatening actions on the interests and security of its member states."
Borrell said that the European Union member states "have met the Cypriot request to prepare more sanctions against Ankara because of its continued illegal exploration in the Eastern Mediterranean."
AKI noted that the European Union placed bodies and officials from Turkey on its list of sanctions for exploration.
Armed militias affiliated with the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and fight for the Libyan government of National Accord (GNA) started Saturday to move towards Tawergha town near Sirte city.
The recent action is considered as a major violation amid international calls for an immediate ceasefire and a blistering evidence of the Turkish plots to control the Libyan internal affairs by deploying mercenaries and outlawed militias.
On the other hand, the Libyan National Army announced that it has repositioned its forces and troops at the coasts off Sirte, Ras Lanuf, and Brega cities after reports of GNA’s militias heading to Tawergha.
LNA spokesperson has previously said that Sirte city may witness a battle between the Libyan army and the militias backed by the Turkish regime, he said that several parts will be involved in the expected battle.
The recent action is considered as a major violation amid international calls for an immediate ceasefire and blistering evidence of the Turkish plots to control the Libyan internal affairs by deploying mercenaries and outlawed militias.
Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El Sisi said the main goal of the Egyptian efforts on Libya at all levels is to activate the free will of the Libyan people, for a better future for the country and the next generations, the Presidency said in a statement.