Tue, 14 Jul 2020 - 03:21 GMT
Tue, 14 Jul 2020 - 03:21 GMT
CAIRO - 14 July 2020: Turkey’s statements of direct military activities in Libya are in violation of the Security Council’s resolutions and international law, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said Monday.
In a phone interview with Sada el-Balad TV channel, Shoukry said such a move would be a serious development in Libya, adding that the Libyan National Army has said it would counter “Turkish occupation.”
Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Greece, and Cyprus called on the United Nations not to register the maritime boundaries deal signed between Turkey and Prime Minister of the Government of the National Accord (GNA) Fayez al-Sarraj, MENA reported to well-placed source at the UN as saying on Monday.
The five countries sent a note verbale to the Secretariat of the United Nations, stressing that the November 2019 deal is illegal and cannot be registered at the UN.
Meanwhile, French Defense Minister Florence Parly told press Monday that Turkey brings large numbers of Syrian mercenaries into Libya, and that is documented at the United Nations, as reported by Al Arabiyah.
The French minister condemned the arms embargo violations committed by foreign powers calling for a political solution as mandated by the January Berlin International Conference on Libya.
In a European Union (EU) meeting held on Thursday, the French defense minister expressed concerns over Turkish moves in the Mediterranean, and support to fellow EU member, Cyprus. It is noted that Turkey has been interfering in the gas drilling works carried out by Cyprus in its national waters.
Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlut Cavusoglu said in press statements Monday that a ceasefire will not be in the interest of the Government of National Accord (GNA), a non-elected government recognized by the UN, adding that it should first take over Sirte and al-Jufrah airbase.
On June 20, Egypt's President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi declared Libyan cities Sirte and al-Jufrah a red line, that if crossed, a direct intervention by Egypt will be “internationally legitimate.” That is because Egypt would act based on a request by the elected House of Representatives and the Libyan tribes, who have already asked for Egypt’s support against Turkey.
Egypt’s move would be “aligned” with the UN Security Council resolutions and the January Berlin International Conference on Libya calling for a political solution and banning arms transfer into the country.
For its part, the Egyptian parliament refuses to resort to a military solution in Libya except in the case of "extreme necessity," member of the Defense and National Security Committee in the Egyptian Parliament, Yahya al-Kadwani, said Tuesday. He added that the Libyan parliament has the right to issue decisions for the best interest of the Libyan people, their territorial integrity and national security.
Libya shares a 1,200-kilometer border with Egypt, which makes certain areas in Libya, such as Sirte and al-Jufra, a matter of national security for Egyptians.
Egypt was previously attacked by terrorists who had infilitrated into the country from the long frontier. Those terrorists have largely either been killed in Egyptian strikes or arrested, tried and executed.
In preparation for countering hostile attacks coming from mercenaries in Libya, Egypt has launched Hasm 2020 drills in the northwestern part of Egypt.
On Saturday, an amphibious drill was carried out against atypical surface targets where the military used paratroopers, thunderbolt units, aircrafts, naval and air forces to take over a beach-head and force hostile submarines to escape.