Libyan coastguards stand on an armoured boat as they patrol the sea off Libya's western coast. (AFP/File)
TRIPOLI, Dec 22 (MENA) - Chief of Staff of the Libyan naval forces Maj. Gen. Faraj al Mahdawi said the navy is on high alert to confront any possible attack by Turkish forces on Libya.
In statements to Al Arabiya news channel on Sunday, he said the navy is well prepared to repel any Turkish violation of the Libyan coast.
The army is also ready for action and will block any backup for the militias and prevent access of Turkish forces into the Libyan lands, he said.
Turkey’s parliament on Saturday approved a security and military cooperation deal signed with Tripoli government last month, state media reported, indicating that the agreement could pave the way for military help from Ankara.
Also on Saturday, Eastern Libyan forces seized a Grenada-flagged ship with a Turkish crew off the Libyan coast amid rising tensions with Turkey, which supports the rival and internationally recognized Libyan government in Tripoli.
A National Libyan Army forces naval combat vessel stopped the ship in Libyan territorial waters off the eastern city of Derna and towed it to Ras El Hilal port “for inspection and to verify its cargo”, spokesman Ahmed Mismari said. He gave no further details.