Four suspects in Barcelona attacks appear in court



Tue, 22 Aug 2017 - 11:26 GMT


Tue, 22 Aug 2017 - 11:26 GMT

© Gabriel Bouys, AFP | The Spanish court where the four suspects in last week's Catalonia attacks appeared before a judge on Tuesday, August 22, 2017.

© Gabriel Bouys, AFP | The Spanish court where the four suspects in last week's Catalonia attacks appeared before a judge on Tuesday, August 22, 2017.

22 August 2017: Four men accused of being members of an Islamist cell behind twin attacks that killed 15 people in Catalonia last week appeared in court on Tuesday, a day after the last fugitive was shot dead by police.

The four, the only ones still alive among the 12 men thought to constitute the group, were brought from Barcelona to Madrid where they were taken to the High Court under tight security for the hearing.

Police on Monday shot dead 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, whom they had identified as the driver of the van that careered along the packed Las Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona on Thursday, leaving a trail of dead and 120 injured from 34 countries.

After the attack, Abouyaaqoub escaped on foot, stabbing to death a man who was parking his car and then fleeing in the vehicle.

Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia said on Tuesday he walked some 40 km (25 miles) from Sant Just Desvern, the town on the outskirts of Barcelona where he ditched the hijacked car, to Subirats, where he was shot dead.

Abouyaaqoub, who had changed clothes, walked by night and hid during the day, the paper said citing sources involved in the investigation.

The Islamic State (IS) group claimed responsibility for the van attack and a separate deadly assault, hours later, in the coastal resort of Cambrils, south of Barcelona.

In Cambrils, a car rammed into passers-by and its occupants got out and tried to stab people. The five assailants were shot dead by police, while a Spanish woman died in the attack.

Most of the 12 suspects lived in the town of Ripoll, set in forested hills beneath the Pyrenees north of Barcelona near the French border, and most were young men of Moroccan descent.

One of those who appeared before investigating magistrate Fernando Andreu was Driss Oukabir, whose passport was found in the abandoned van after the Barcelona attack. He turned himself in to police, protesting his innocence and saying his younger brother Moussa Oukabir, 17, who was killed in Cambrils, had stolen his documents.

Also in court was Mohammed Aalla, owner of the Audi car used in the Cambrils attack. One of his brothers, Said, was killed in Cambrils and a second, Youssef, is believed by police to have died in an explosion at a house used by the plotters at Alcanar, southwest of Barcelona, the day before the Barcelona attack.

Mohamed Houli Chemlal, arrested after being hurt in the blast at Alcanar, also appeared in court as did Salah el Karib, who ran an internet cafe in Ripoll that, according to La Vanguardia newspaper, was used to send money to Morocco

On Monday, Catalan police confirmed that Ripoll imam Abdelbaki Es Satty, who is believed to have radicalised the young men, also died in the explosion in Alcanar. Police believe the blast foiled the group's plans for a much bigger attack using explosives.

Tuesday's closed-door hearing was expected to end in the suspects being remanded in custody while the judge conducts an investigation that could take months or even years before a trial is organised.



Leave a Comment

Be Social