Former Chief of Dubai’s General Security Dhahi Khalfan- Twitter
CAIRO – 16 August 2017: Dubai's former police chief, Dhahi Khalfan, slammed the Qatari media outlets for criticizing Saudi Arabia policies “permanently,” Wednesday.
In the three following tweets, Khalfan said that the Qatari media is escalating its criticism against Saudi Arabia, which will worsen the political situation. “Unfortunately, we are facing a systematic plan against Saudi Arabia,” Khalfan tweeted.
On Monday, Khalfan said in statements that the Qataris are facing a “corrupted government,” and that they are still dealing with terrorists until know.
From their side, Saudi Arabian social media users and activists used Twitter to reply to Qataris.
On Tuesday, an anti-Qatar social media campaign was launched against Doha’s government “for their continued determination to back and finance several terrorist groups, especially Muslim Brotherhoods,” according to several tweets.
Using hash-tag “Qatar has no sovereignty,” Twitter activates expressed view that the Muslim Brotherhood leaders are the actual rulers of the gas-rich state, as it was they who were taking decisions since the beginning of the Arabian-Qatari dispute; meanwhile the Qatari officials have been refusing to accept the 13-demand list of the Arabian countries considering it a “violation of the state’s sovereignty.”
On June 6, Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah Ahmad Al-Sabah started a tour that included Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Qatar in an attempt to mediate between the three countries.
A list of 13-demands was given to Doha’s government by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain for reconciliation which includes the closing of Al Jazeera broadcasting; however, Qatar’s response was described as “negative” by the four countries’ foreign ministers in a joint statement released after holding a summit in Cairo July 5.
Friday July 7, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain said in another joint statement that the ultimatum that had been given to Qatar is now void, leading to further legal, political and economic measures against the government of Qatar.
“The Qatari government has purposely thwarted all diplomatic efforts to resolve the crisis and has rejected any settlements, reflecting its intention to continue with its destabilizing policies against the interests of the Qatari people,” the Arab quartet said in the statement.
They also condemned Qatar’s “lack of tact and respect” towards the Kuwaiti mediation, as it leaked the list of demands in an attempt to condemn the initiative to failure.