Egyptian army in North Sinai - press photo
CAIRO – 8 July 2017: Local and international condemnation ensued after a terror attack on an Egyptian Armed Forces checkpoint in Rafah, North Sinai which resulted in the death of 26 Egyptian soldiers and injured many more on Friday.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo condemned the attack on their official Twitter account saying, “Another outrageous terror attack in Egypt. The United States stands with Egypt against terrorism. #USSupportForEgypt.”
Stressing that Berlin stands with Egypt in the face of terrorism, the German Embassy in Cairo also denounced the brutal attack.
“The EU is Egypt's ally in fighting terrorism,” Ivan Surkos the European Union Ambassador to Cairo said on his Twitter account.
The United Kingdom’s Ambassador John Casson also condemned the terrorist attack in Rafah saying, “I am disgusted by the terrorist attack on members of the Egyptian Armed Forces as they did their duty in Rafah, Northern Sinai today.
On behalf of the British Government, I condemn it wholeheartedly.”
Iran also slammed the terrorist attack and warned against a recent wave of desperate terrorist operations by defeated Islamic State groups across the globe.
Bahrain, Kuwait, the U.A.E. and Jordan also denounced Friday’s attack that killed dozens of armed forces personnel.
Bahrain said in a statement, “The terrorist act, which represents an affront to religion, is contrary to all human and moral values and principles.”
Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah also sent a cable of condolences to President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi regarding the victims.
In an official statement issued by the Foreign Ministry and published via the Emirates News Agency website on Friday, the U.A.E. called for concerted efforts to combat the dangerous phenomena of terrorism, in addition to stating, ''We stand with the Egyptian state and people against extremism and terrorism.''
The U.A.E. Foreign Ministry praised the Egyptian Armed Forces for tackling the aftermath of the terrorist attack, by destroying several vehicles and killing the militants who attacked the checkpoint.
“Jordan stand with Egypt in face of terrorism,” said Mohammad Al Momani, Jordan’s Minister of State for Media Affairs. He wished the speedy recovery of the injured.
Local Egyptian organizations and public figures also condemned the North Sinai attack and praised the military forces.
In Egypt, Dar al-Iftaa, Egypt’s official body authorized to issue religious edicts, mourned soldiers killed in the terror attack at the checkpoint.
The Cabinet condemned the oppressive North Sinai attack, mourned the victims and hailed the role of military forces in confronting the terror attack which led to the death at least 40 militants.
“With every drop of blood shed by martyrs, we are becoming increasingly determined to eradicate terrorism,” Ahmed Abu Zaid, the Foreign Ministry's spokesperson tweeted.
The head of the administrative prosecution Rashida Fathullah offered condolences to the families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery for all those injured.
The Coptic Orthodox Church headed by Pope Tawadros II and the Evangelical Church also strongly condemned the attack.
After several states severed diplomatic ties with Doha last month, Egyptian politicians and social media users have demanded an international inquisition of Qatar, accusing the Gulf country of involvement in funding terrorist groups which have launched attacks killing thousands of Egyptian armed and police forces over the past few years, since the ousting of former president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.
A hashtag “Egyptian Blood is Precious” is currently circulating on Twitter, where social media users rejected any calls for reconciliation with Qatar.
Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the U.A.E. and Bahrain cut diplomatic ties with the state of Qatar on June 5 on charges of supporting terrorism and extremist groups in the region.
The Qatari regime is responsible for the lives of victims who have been killed by terrorist operations supported by Qatar in Egypt and other Arab countries, parliamentarian Mohamed Abou Hamed announced on several occasions recently.
Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the U.A.E. and Bahrain said in a joint statement Thursday that Qatar’s rejection of the recent Arab demands to cease their actions is clear evidence that the Gulf state will continue to support terrorism.
The ultimatum that had been given to Qatar is now void, leading to further legal, political and economic measures launched against the government of Qatar by the Arab quartet, according to a Friday statement.