CAIRO - 19 September 2018: Have you ever thought about your children’s health when packing their lunchboxes? It’s time kids head back to school; most of the mothers are keen to pack a healthy lunchbox.
Healthy lunches and snacks are essential for children’s health in order to keep their vitality during the school day. Egypt Today has prepared for you a cheat sheet on what to pack for your kids.
- Fresh fruits; avoid dry food as it contains high levels of sugar.
- Green vegetables (mixed vegetables such as cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers and lettuce).
- Food rich in protein such as meat or boiled eggs.
- Avoid chips and packs of crisps, as they are high in fat and calories which can raise the risk of obesity.
- Dairy products such as cheese, grated cheese, milk or yoghurt.
- Don’t provide them with fruit yogurt regularly, as it is high in sugar.
- Include starchy food like bread and crackers in the box.
- Advise them to drink reasonable amounts of water.
A balanced lunchbox should contain a variety of nutritious foods from each of the five food elements: grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy and protein.
Variety ensures that children obtain important nutrients that are essential for their growth and development, and that keep them alert throughout the school day.
Also, one of the most important things to keep in mind is the material from which the boxes are made. Boxes that have the number “5” incised on the bottom are safe for keeping hot and cold foods fresh and should be kept in refrigerators not freezers.
1- Search for the “BPA FREE”; it means that the box is free of “Bisphenol A” which can transfer plastic to the food inside.
2- The boxes should be easy to clean.
3- Keep an ice cube alongside the lunchbox to keep the food fresh.
4- Choose a lunchbox that can be used in microwaves.
5- Avoid using plastic bags especially with hot food.