Red Kangaroo with Joey in Linton Zoo – CC via Flickr/Mrs Airwolfhound
CAIRO – 23 January 2017: Giza Zoo received on Monday two Red Kangaroos coming from Slovakia. The garden has never hosted Kangaroos since its establishment in 1891. These are facts on the specie:
1) Kangaroos are the largest specie the Marsupials infraclass consisting of animals with a pouch.
2) There are around 90 Kangaroo breeds mostly living in Australia.
3) It lives in groups in open grass areas.
4) Many species are nocturnal and crepuscular.
5) The Red Kangaroos’ hopping speed is about 20-25 kilometers per hour.
6) Kangaroos can use their hind legs to disembowel their attackers after catching them with their forepaws.
7) Kangaroos can jump up to 30 feet high.
8) They can swim and dig holes in the ground in search for water.
Egyptians love to visit the beautiful zoo especially during holidays; the zoo is the biggest animal park in the Middle East. Here are eight facts about Giza Zoo:
1- It stretches over 85 acres.
2- It was open for the public in 1891 during the rule of Khedive Tawfiq.
3- Many kinds of rare and endangered animals and birds live in the park and have successfully bred there.
4- The Zoological Museum, the first and largest of its kind in the Middle East, is located inside the zoo. It displays mummified animals from all over the region and Africa.
5- A board of secretaries has been set up last year to develop the old zoo.
6- Their plan includes the exploitation of unused spaces and expanding animals’ habitats.
7- It is expected to better simulate the natural habitat of the animals on the verge of extinction.
8- A veterinarian committee will be formed to look after the animals.
9- The zoo aims to stimulate the reproduction of rare animals and birds.