CAIRO – 7 September 2017: Divorce rates in Egypt have increased 83 percent from 1996, according to the statistics CAPMAS collected in 2016.
Divorce became part of our culture. Although we have high divorce rates in Egypt, some people think that divorce is a bad thing.
Some women around the world celebrate divorce to push away the negativity they feel surrounding them in the post-divorce atmosphere. So, instead of wallowing in the darkness, they party instead.
Christine Gallagher, a divorce party planner, has devised the perfect tips to celebrate your newfound freedom. She has given you the road map to the perfect divorce party, and we have summed them up for you below:
1. Choose your guests wisely: mainly choose your close friends and relatives who will understand. Not everyone will understand or appreciate the delicate art of turning lemons into lemonade, and maybe some of your conventional friends or relatives may not be comfortable attending such an event.
2. Schedule the event anytime you like: There are no rules this one. It can be immediately after you get your papers signed, or after the dust has settled a little. Don’t rush feeling ready to party and move on. Yes, we hold strongly to a non-wallowing policy, but you can’t suppress how you feel either. Experience your “six degrees of separation” as the Script has them (except for the sixth degree, of course!) and then note the date down.
3. Do not gossip about your ex-husband: “Beneath the surface of most divorces, there is a great deal of hurt and pain,” as Gallagher so wisely states on her blog. You don’t want to activate any regressive emotions that can bring you down.
4. Burning your ex-husbands stuff in the party is good. It is simple kind of therapy, and it can be so empowering for women. Also, it’s a rite of passage and we deem it necessary.
Here are some extra dos and don’ts:
● Avoid love songs
● Avoid love movies
● Try to avoid messing with your hair before the dust has completely settled, and you feel back to your normal self. Most people undertake this step confidently believing it will rescue some sort of realization for them, and end up regretting it sorely when they have awakened.
● Design a customized cake
● Wear bright colors to lighten up the night.
Gallagher, who has been working in the field of divorce party planning for 14 years, said that divorce parties usually range from $5,000 (LE 8,8343) dollars to $25,000 (LE 44,1712), in the United States. I hope it’ll cost less than that here in Egypt.