Life is already hard on its own and it would make a huge difference to try and make things better for those around us whenever we can. With simple acts of kindness and niceness, nothing major, we can make the world we live in a better place. Sometimes, the best things we can do for others are the things we think can barely make a difference, but in fact, those little things we overlook can make someone else’s day. Here is how.
1. Give compliments. Who wouldn’t feel instantly better the moment they receive a compliment? When you notice something nice about someone, praise it, tell them something nice. Even better, compliment strangers. When it comes to friends, family, and coworkers, the compliment doesn’t have to be limited to physical appearance, acknowledge their positive traits or something they’ve done that is worthy of respect and admiration.
2. Gift them without an occasion. You don’t have to wait for a birthday or a special occasion to buy someone a gift. Just do it whenever you feel like you want to treat them and show them how much you care. It doesn’t have to be an expensive gift, even some chocolates can do the work.
3. Thank them for a specific thing. As humans, we like to feel appreciated, to know that our efforts haven't gone unnoticed. When someone does something nice, make sure you show them you appreciate it in whatever way you want. A simple ‘thank you for being there’ message will already bring a smile to their faces.
4. Have their back in whatever way you can. Whether it’s a total stranger who’s been cyberbullied on social media, or a coworker who has been mistreated, standing up for them will make their day.
5. Show kindness. Especially with janitors, waiters, taxi drivers, and everyone who provides a service. These people do a lot of hard work without anyone saying it to them, they are the least likely to receive good compliments or experience random acts of kindness. Be that person to them.