Image by benzoix on Freepik
Trends come and go, and just as some fashion trends can be one season at the top and then die the very next, the same applies to makeup. If you take a walk down memory lane, way back to the 90s, you will notice some makeup trends that have totally died, some came back with a twist, and other trends just emerged fresh and new. To stay on top of your makeup game, here are some trends to ditch in 2023.
1. Overly thin and defined eyebrows. Beauticians and makeup experts are no longer in favor of thin eyebrows. This year is all about natural-looking fluffy eyebrows. To perfect this look, buy an eyebrow styling wax and brush your eyebrows upwards for a natural and soft look.
2. Overly outlined lips. While this trick was used to create the illusion of fuller lips, outlining makes the makeup look harsh which is not in trend of the year. Instead trying to dab a bit of highlighter at the cupid bow which enhances the shape of the lip.
3. Too much bronzer. We want to have that nice look of sun-kissed skin, but too much bronzer doesn’t really make it look natural. Instead, embrace a natural skin glow. Also, tone down on contouring.
4. Dramatic fake lashes. They may be a makeup staple on special occasions – though not a must - but if you have to choose a style that is close to natural as possible. Instead of wearing fake lashes on your normal days, opt for a high-quality volumizing mascara that will give your lashes a nice pump.
5. Intense blush. Heavy blushers are no longer in for 2023, especially when over-defined and not blended. Choose a blush shade that is very close to your skin tone, preferably cream blush since the application of this type of blusher makes it look more natural, and make sure your blush is well blended.
6. Glitter eyeshadows. Makeup of trends of this year are all about minimalism and of course, glitter eyeshadows do not work well with a minimalist, simple look. Eyeshadows with subtle metallic or shimmer effects are better and will create a more subtle look.
7. White eyeliner. While white eyeliners make the eyes look wider when applied to the waterline, they are no longer staying with us among the makeup trends of the year. Instead, follow other tricks that make your eyes look larger like skipping kohl on the waterline