Cairo Design Award (CDA) celebrated its 5th edition during a grand ceremony attended by the Italian Ambassador in Cairo, His Excellency; Michele Quaroni, and the Portuguese Ambassador in Cairo, Her Excellency Manuela Franco, at the iconic Baron Palace Empain. The CDA ’22 edition honored 8 categories of design that included architecture & landscape, interior design, fashion design, jewelry design, set design, product design, and graphic design. The Event featured tunes by HOH, CDA ’22 set the seal on the first edition of Cairo Design Week, which took place across different key landmarks in Korba over the course of 7 days in the period between 19-25 of November.
CDA acts as Egypt’s primary platform for local and international designers through providing an innovative, all-encompassing community that supports and celebrates achievements in the design industry. “CDA has been the destination for designers in Egypt for 5 years, our community has grown since 2017 and attracted innovators who work to make their visions a reality. That couldn’t be possible without the guidance of our jury represented by a lineup of experts who employed their expertise towards the development of talents throughout,” said Hisham Mahdy, Founder of CDA and President of Cairo Design Week, to guests at the gala dinner.
Administered by 7 juries, represented by a total of 14 local and international jury members, CDA ’22 featured Brendan Macfarlane and Ebtisam Farid representing the Architecture and Landscape category; Kegham Djeghaliain and Yasmine Yeya representing Fashion Design; Ghalia Elsrakbi and Hani Mahfouz representing Graphic Design; Gauthier Guillaume and Karim El-Hayawan representing Interior Design, Alia Mouzannar and Amina Ghali representing Jewelry Design; Guillame Credoz and Cherif Morsi representing Product Design; and Monica Alberte and Mohamed Attia representing the Set Design Category.
CDA’22 is in partnership with WE, POD, DMC, MO4/SceneHome, V Digital, Mega FM, 3 Brothers, Marmonil, Hi Lights, FAB Misr, LMD, IMAGE, GLC, i-Con Smart Solutions and Aroma.
List of CDA ’22 winners:
1. Architecture & Landscape: RHY Team (Hussein Hazem, Rania Youssef, and Youssef Ismail) won the gold award for their design “A Chance,” and Sarah El-Dawy won the silver award for “E-Waste Colony,” and Wissam Ayman El -Sawy won the bronze for “Mutated Gardens.”
2. Fashion Design: Reem Atout won the gold for her “Teta Chic” collection, and Almah won the silver award for “Foe-Fur.”
3. Graphic Design: Aley Baracat secured the gold and silver awards for designing the games of “El-Manseb” and “The Game of Me,” Alia Tobala won the silver for “Hermoonatek: Ely Mesawahaky,” and Nora Abushadi won the bronze for “L’Artisan.”
4. Interior Design: Mohamed Shebeny won the gold award for “Be My Eyes,” Two Emms Design Studio secured the silver for “CO-55_Square One,” and MYS Architects (Mahmoud Ragheb & Yasmine Ammar) won the bronze for “Raw – Multipurpose Building in Cairo Desert Road.”
5. Jewelry Design: Sammar El Sawy won the gold for “SeaHorse,” Nada Elhadad won the silver for “Metamorphosis,” and Kione Art – Yasmine El Biali won the bronze for “Seismic Restraint.”
6. Product Design: Undefined won the silver award for “Eruption Collection,” Mohamed Mamdouh El Haddad won the silver for the design of “El Nahla Stool,” and Ahmed Shawky and Mostafa Wagih won the bronze for “Cleo Chair.”
7. Set Design: Salma Taimour won the gold for “Bimbo,” Eslam El Banna won the silver for “Ramez Movie Star,” and Ahmed Shaaban won the bronze for “Bioderma.”