Every year we blow the candles out on our birthday we’re reminded we’re getting a year older, and aging is one of the biggest fear most of us experience. Aging brings along with it a lot of changes physically, emotionally, and mentally; but in fact, aging shouldn’t be that scary, it’s a natural process. It’s true that society’s anti-aging culture all over the world has made it sound like the older we get, the lower the chances for us to live a happy, fulfilled life. However, a change in perspective can work wonder, you can age joyfully when you…
• Learn to cope with change. As we grow older, everything around us changes us. You look in the mirror and you don’t see the same person you used to see 5 or 10 years ago. You change on the inside too, but change is inevitable so long as you live. Accept every phase with the changes it brings along and keep in mind that every part of your life has its own beauty.
• Find joy in every moment. You may not have the same energy of going out every night or to party as you used to, but there are a lot of things you’ll begin to notice only when you slow down. As we get older and the pace of our lives becomes a bit slower, we have more time to pause and appreciate the little things we failed to notice while we were in a rush. The joy of a calm and peaceful night with your family, the joy of a walk in nature, the joy of more free time on our hands, the joy of watching little kids playing around to remind you of how it used to be as a child. There is a lot of joy in those simple little pleasures we never had the time for earlier.
• Look after your well-being. We think that as we grow old we’ll become weak, frail, and our health will have to deteriorate. It is only true if you decide to believe so. People can lead happy and healthy lives even in their 80s or older only when they decide to look after themselves with extra care. Treat your body well, eat the right food; keep your mind active and get those muscles moving.
• Learn new things. You are never too old to learn something new, and you are only falling behind when you don’t want to keep up with what’s happening around you. Learn something new from the younger generations, educate yourself about the use of technologies, keep an eye on how things keep changing and spend time with younger people.
• Shower yourself with love. Spoil yourself. Buy yourself some flowers to grow at home, catch up on all things on your bucket list that you didn’t have time to do, book a flight ticket and travel somewhere where you can relax. Show gratitude for the life you’ve been living in look forward to the years to come. Surround yourself with those who genuinely love you, go out together, and make new memories. Be kind to yourself, accept yourself, and never force yourself to do things you don’t want to.