First, let’s point out that wanting to pamper yourself with some new shopping items is totally fine. But when you reach the point where you shop and shop until you no longer know what you already have in the closet then that is a problem. It is common for all of us that sometimes we get into this phase of shopping impulsively for things we mostly do not need.
Let’s understand first why we shop when we don’t need to
• Boredom: Sometimes we go to the mall aimlessly when we are bored and before we know it we find ourselves going back home with a pile of stuff.
• A sense of security. Overbuying makes us feel we have a variety of options.
• External influences. When we see a product all the time in marketing campaigns or through social media recommendations, this hype around it makes us want to buy it.
Now, we will share some tips with you to help you become a mindful shopper and not yield to impulsive purchases.
1. Assess the items you have. Before you go shopping go through your belongings whether shoes, clothes, makeup, or any other. Clean out your closet and declutter to get rid of the things you don’t use and leave more room for things you forgot existed. You’ll be surprised by the things buried at the back of your clothes or drawers, and accordingly, you will not shop for something you already have.
2. Set a budget. Create a budget that works for you and set aside a certain amount for shopping and stick to that amount no matter what. By creating a fixed budget you will be more selective with the things you want to buy with that budget and you will stop just randomly picking stuff at the mall.
3. Turn off notifications from your shopping apps and unsubscribe from retail emails. Let’s be honest, when you keep on receiving a lot of notifications or emails about the latest collection or big sale, it will be hard to resist not buying with all the options around you.
4. Don’t be tempted by sale, discounts, and offers. It’s part of shopping psychology that the word sale, discounts, and limited offers make us want to buy more and faster before these offers run out and accordingly we hoard too many items that we might not need but didn’t want to let go while on sale.
5. Don’t go to the mall aimlessly. This is one of the biggest mistakes that many of us do. We go to the mall whenever we are bored and go from one shop to another looking at the display windows and of course, we will find at least a thing or two to buy. Make sure you only go to the mall when there are specific items you want to buy.