Sometimes, we lose track and sight of our own selves. We do not know who we really are or what we want. We find ourselves in the middle of nowhere, not knowing which direction to take or what we should do, and the only thing we know is that we feel lost. At this point, we don’t where to begin or how to put ourselves back on the right track.
Is it even possible that we lose ourselves or no longer know who we are?
Definitely. When we silence our own inner voice to listen to that of others around us or when we try to change ourselves to be more likable or loved. We lose ourselves when we, instead of being our authentic selves, try to fit ourselves into that mold society has made for us. We lose ourselves when we allow others to define who we are and what we should do with our lives.
Signs you need to rediscover yourself
• Lack of interest in almost everything.
• Low self-esteem
If all this feels relatable, it’s time now to start a journey of rediscovering yourself.
1. Try new, different things. Maybe you can’t name something you are passionate about because maybe you haven’t tried enough things. Trying new things will help you explore yourself more and you will learn more about the things that make you happy.
2. Ask yourself questions. You will only find the way through asking yourself questions and knowing their answers. You might not know the answers immediately, but take your time to reflect on things like what you want to do in life, what you are missing, and what impact the choices you make.
3. Make a bucket list. Think for a moment, what is it that you wish you can accomplish in life, big or small? Identifying your life goals or purpose will help put you on the right track towards achieving yourself. This will help you discover what you genuinely want from life.
4. Re-live happy memories. Remind yourself of all the great happy memories. Remember your successful moments, fun times, proud moments, and moments you feel loved. Ask yourself what was special about this memory. Do you still experience such great things? If not then decide what is it that you need to bring back to your life to feel happy again.
5. Write a letter to yourself. Grab a pen and a piece of paper and write a letter thanking yourself for how far you’ve come and the things you’ve accomplished and apologize for the times you doubted and underestimated yourself. You will look at yourself from a different perspective and will see yourself through different eyes.
6. Make peace with not being liked by everyone. When we try to please everyone around us or fit in every group, we lose parts of ourselves bit by bit in the process. We being to do things uncharacteristically of ourselves just to please others or be liked, we pretend to be someone we are not, and eventually, we lose track of who we really are.