FILE Photo - Minister of Antiquities Khaled Anani
CAIRO – 31 December 2017: Ministry of Culture officially announced including Abbas Helmi II Mosque in the Islamic and Coptic historical buildings list. The announcement came December 30 through the official Egyptian state newspaper El-Waqee’ El-Masriya.
Located at Mohamed Ali Street, El-Maghrblin, Cairo, The mosque was constructed by the last Egyptian Khedive, Abbas Helmi II, in 1893.
Helmi chose Ali Pasha Mubarek to make a proper design for the mosque, following the architectural style of the old Mamluks' school.
Helmi was the last khedive of Egypt and Sudan. He ruled from January 8, 1892 to December 1944.
The khedive reached the throne after the death of his father Khedive Tawfik. He was one of the few khedives who wanted to end the English occupation of Egypt, and he also tried to establish good connections with Egyptian national figures.
According to the Egyptian law on the protection of antiquities, buildings aged 100- years or more will be considered historical buildings.
The law also stressed that the listed antiquities should reflect historical, architectural, and artistic features that glorify previous civilizations' artistic works.
Recently, Ministry of Antiquities has continued renovating and documenting several historical buildings in Cairo; in addition to continuing its most recent project “Medieval/Historical Cairo Project” that targets renovating several historical buildings.
The ministry has also announced beginning the renovation process of historical Sharaibi Bathhouse, and Bir Youssef of Salah El-Din Citadel.
Leave a Comment