CAIRO – 21 August 2017: Gayer Anderson is one of the hidden treasures in the historical part of Cairo, and is located near Ahmed ibn Tulun Mosque.
The story of the museum started with two historical houses that were connected together with a bridge; the first building was constructed in 1632 and belonged to Hajj Mohamed Salem Galmam al-Gazzar. The date of the building was recorded on a wood frieze.
Later on, the building was bought by a lady from Crete that is why lately it’s known as Beit Al-Kriteleyh.
The second house was built by Mohamed Abdel-Qader al-Haddad in 1540. It is currently known as Beit Amna bint Salim because she was the last resident of the house.
In 1930 – 1935, the two houses were about to be demolished as part of upgrading Ahmed ibn Tulun area project, but the Committee for the Conservation of Arab Monuments objected to this project, and then the process of repairing both houses began.
In 1953, a British doctor, Gayer Anderson, asked to live in the house and provide it with a unique and rare collection of monuments. He also provided the house with electricity, and plumbing. He managed to restore the beauty of the house, as he added a number of English and Chinese antiquities, Indian chairs, English tables, Iranian handcrafts and Italian lamps.
A pharaoh’s casket and a statue of Nefertiti were displayed in the museum.
The museum consists of a number of apartments as Mohamed Ali Room, Roof Garden, The Persian Room, and Reading and Writing Rooms.
What is interesting about the museum is that the houses were built on the Gabel Yeshkur which is known for magical legends. It is thought that Gabel Yeshkur is the place where Noah’s Ark rested after the flood.
One of the common stories heard about it is if one gazes at the water he/she sees the face of his/her love.
Gayer Andreson museum is characterized by the amusing Islamic design in addition to its special location in the heart of ancient Islamic Cairo.