Subsidising the purchase of electric cars in Canada is an inefficient way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions that is not cost effective, a study revealed yesterday. — AFP-Relaxnews pic
CAIRO - 2 February 2020: Egypt has taken the necessary measures to make the dream of manufacturing a 100 percent Egyptian car come true. The government focuses on electric cars, and aims to produce about 25,000 cars annually with prices starting from LE 78,000.
Egypt Today reviews the stages of manufacturing electric cars in 10 points:
1. The Ministry of Public Business Sector agreed with the Chinese Dongfeng Company to manufacture an electric ride car at El-Nasr Company.
2. The contracts will be signed once all financial and technical details have been agreed upon between the two parties.
3. The Chinese company’s delegation visited El-Nasr Company, and in return, Minister of Public Business Sector Hisham Tawfik visited China.
4. A good study is being prepared on electric charging, and the suitable places for building charging stations before the launch of electric cars.
5. The Ministry of Electricity will establish 1,000 fast charging stations annually with a capacity of 50 kilowatts for a period of at least 3 years.
6. The need of taxi vehicles for slow charging stations will be considered, with a package of incentives for the production of electric cars.
7. Incentives will be offered, including the launch of a program to replace taxis with 11,000 electric taxis.
8. Among these incentives is the obligation of government agencies to replace 5 percent of the fleet of cars annually (7,000 cars).
9. The government will provide investors with subsidies for the first 100,000 locally manufactured electric car worth LE 50,000 per car.
10. 25,000 electric ride cars will be produced annually.