File - Minister of Investment and International Cooperation Sahar Nasr
CAIRO - 19 July 2018: Investment and International Cooperation Minister Sahar Nasr participated in a session on investing in human capital to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as part of activities of the High-Level Political Forum 2018 (HLPF 2018).
The forum, held under the theme "Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies", is organized by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in New York City.
The session was attended by Sunny Verghese, the head of the world's third largest agribusiness conglomerate "Olam International", UN Special Rapporteur on Indigenous Peoples Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, UN Secretary-General's special adviser for the Sahel Ibrahim Thiaw, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification Monique Barbut and Executive Secretary of the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity Cristiana Paşca Palmer.
The Investment Ministry in a statement on Thursday said that participants extolled Egypt's no mean achievement in investing in human capital via pumping new investments in the health and education sectors.
They also lauded President Abdel Fattah El Sisi's interest in investing in human capacities and Egypt's keenness on securing the necessary financial resources to support the health and education sectors and youth initiatives, the statement said.
Human capital investment and poverty eradication are on top of the Egyptian government plans to achieve "Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030", Nasr said during the session.
Egypt is implementing an ambitious economic reform program within the framework of its sustainable development strategy, she added.
She further underlined that her ministry is playing a key role in shoring up genuine efforts exerted to fund and follow up the implementation of SDGs through financial and non-financial assistance provided by Egypt's international development partners.
The HLPF is reviewing progress towards the SDGs and focusing in particular on:
- Goal 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Goal 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, that will be considered each year.