Haya Karima village - file
CAIRO - 3 December 2022: Egypt's nation-wide development initiative "Haya Karima" has brought about a transformation in the countryside, and is currently adopting the "Green Village" initiative in line with the recommendations of the COP27 summit the country hosted last month.
The country has set objectives to comply with the latest international environmental standards of the World Green Building Council.
As part of the initiative, there are different goals, including supporting national industry, providing job opportunities, reducing unemployment, expanding women's participation in labor market and improving their income, in addition to raising the living standards of the Egyptian family.
Despite the great challenges facing the Egyptian state, like the rest of the world, following the repercussions of the Russian-Ukrainian war, the state is keen to complete the development process.
The preliminary stage of the “Decent Life” initiative directed about 15 billion pounds to develop the 375 neediest villages in Egypt. According to the announcement of the Ministries of Planning and Local Development, the preliminary stage was completed in 375 villages for the benefit of 4.5 million citizens, and poverty rates decreased by 11 percentage points.
In line with facing climate change, it is expected to implement the "Green Village" initiative, which was launched during cop27.
The objectives and implementation mechanisms are:
- Rehabilitation of the villages of "Haya Karima" to comply with the latest international environmental standards of the World Green Building Council.
- Obtaining a "Rationalizing" certificate for green communities, through three main axes: energy, water, and resources.
- 32 development projects are being implemented in the village of Fares, at a cost of 610 million pounds, and the percentage of green investments amounts to 77% of them.
- It aims to generalize the "Green Village" model in 175 villages within the framework of "Haya Karima" nationwide.
- Green investments to reach 30% of the total investments directed to the "Haya Karima" project.
- This will be done by establishing triple sewage stations, rehabilitating and lining canals, paving roads, connecting fiber optic networks, connecting natural gas to homes, and others.