Thu, 31 Dec 2020 - 11:19 GMT
FILE- A member of the medical staff shows a used sample container at a test centre for coronavirus disease at Havelhoehe community hospital in Berlin, Germany, April 6, 2020. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch hoto
CAIRO - 31 December 2020: The Health Ministry announced that Egypt registered 1,418 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, raising the total number of confirmed cases thusfar to 138,062.
In a statement, Spokesman for the Health Ministry Khaled Megahed said that the death toll in the country was raised to 7,631 after 55 patients died from the virus over the past 24 hours.
As many as 654 patients were discharged from isolation hospitals after receiving necessary medical care, taking the number of recovered cases to 112,105 so far, the spokesman said.
Last week, Health Minister Hala Zayed officially announced that Egypt is facing the second wave of coronavirus.
The Cabinet, in response, announced further measures to curb the spread of the novel virus, including cancelling the New Year celebrations and pledging tough penalties against hotels violating the decision.
The decisions also included imposing an immediate fine on people not wearing face masks in closed places and public transportation.
Cabinet spokesman Nader Saad, in remarks to media, said the ventilator use rose to 42 percent and that Egypt has prepared the same number of hospitals for quarantine as that it prepared during the peak of the first wave.