Coronavirus cases in Egypt expected to rise over January, February: higher education min.

BY

Sat, 26 Dec 2020 - 12:27 GMT

FILE - Men in protective masks wait for the train at a metro station in Cairo – Reuters

FILE - Men in protective masks wait for the train at a metro station in Cairo – Reuters

CAIRO – 26 December 2020: Minister of Higher Education Khaled Abdel Ghaffar said coronavirus cases in Egypt will continue to rise over January and the first half of February, as Egypt is currently facing a new wave of the pandemic.

The number of cases will start to decrease in the second half of February, Abdel Ghaffar said, as per mathematical expectations.

The Egyptian Health Ministry said 1,133 new coronavirus cases were detected over Friday, upping the total number of confirmed cases to 130,126.

In a statement, Spokesman for the Health Ministry Khaled Megahed said 49 patients have died from the virus over the past 24 hours, raising the death toll to 7,309.

As many as 511 patients were discharged from isolation hospitals after receiving necessary medical care, taking the number of recovered cases to 108,985 so far, the spokesman said.

Last week, Health Minister Hala Zayed officially announced that Egypt is facing the second wave of coronavirus.

The Cabinet, in response, announced further measures to curb the spread of the novel virus, including cancelling the New Year celebrations and pledging tough penalties against hotels violating the decision.

The decisions also included imposing an immediate fine on people not wearing face masks in closed places and public transportation.

Cabinet spokesman Nader Saad, in remarks to media, said the ventilator use rose to 42 percent and that Egypt has prepared the same number of hospitals for quarantine as that it prepared during the peak of the first wave.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Be Social