Fri, 10 Jul 2020 - 12:58 GMT
A screenshot from a video broadcast by ISIS
CAIRO – 10 July 2020: A top Egyptian diplomat on Friday called on the United Nations Security Council to undertake its responsibilities, including holding states supporting and funding terrorism accountable.
This came as Deputy Foreign Minister and Director of the International Terrorism Combat Unit Ihab Fahmy took part in the virtual exposition on terrorism organized by the UN Counter-Terrorism Center between July 6 to 10.
Fahmy called for punishing holding accountable countries that make use of terrorist fighters, especially in Libya and Syria, in violation of the relevant Security Council resolutions.
The deputy foreign minister presented his country’s comprehensive vision to face terrorism and highlighted the main responsibility undertaken by the states in this regard. He also called for intensifying the governments’ efforts to protect the youth from being attracted by terrorism and extremism.
Fahmy said terrorism can only be eradicated through comprehensive confrontation of all terrorist organizations without exceptions.
The virtual expo has been backed by Saudi Arabia.
“The virtual expo spotlights the Centre’s support for Member State efforts to implement programs across the four pillars of the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in a comprehensive and balanced manner,” the United Nations said in a statement. “This includes its global program to facilitate engagement with victims of terrorism.”
Earlier in July, Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said Egypt supports the political dialogue to resolve the Libyan crisis, in accordance with the Cairo Declaration on Libya Egyptian President has announced in June.
In a video conference for the Security Council on Libya, Shoukry affirmed that the Cairo Declaration is completely consistent with relevant Security Council’s resolutions and the Berlin Conference’s outcomes.