Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El Sisi (R) on Thursday discussed with intelligence chief Abbas Kamel (L) the latest updates of the Libyan crisis
CAIRO – 18 June 2020: Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El Sisi on Thursday discussed with intelligence chief Abbas Kamel the latest updates of the Libyan crisis, in light of the Egyptian initiative calling for ceasefire in the war-torn country.
Earlier in June, Sisi announced Cairo's plan for a ceasefire in Libya, beginning June 8, after a tripartite meeting with the commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Khalifa Haftar and Speaker of Libyan Parliament Aguila Saleh. Sisi said that the political initiative, also known as the “Cairo Declaration”, would pave the way for a return to normal life in Libya.
Sisi and Kamel reviewed efforts exerted by the state institutions, including ending the crisis of the Egyptian citizens who had been held in Libya and securing their return to Egypt.
President Sisi urged continuing taking all required procedures to ensure the safety of the Egyptian citizens residing abroad.
The meeting also discussed the latest updates of the general security situation, especially efforts to combat terrorism and extremist thought. In this regard, Sisi directed relevant authorities to exert maximum effort to preserve security and safety of citizens, establish social stability nationwide and secure appropriate climate for economic development.
Concerning the crisis of Egyptian expats in Libya, 23 Egyptians who were held and humiliated by militias in Tarhunah, southeast of the capital Tripoli, returned to their homeland successfully, as President Sisi on Wednesday night urged the state institutions to end their crisis.
The president’s order comes shortly after the Libyan Interior Ministry of the Government of National Accord (GNA) said it freed the abused workers, who have been kidnapped by militias believed to be allied to the GNA, which Egypt does not back.
Spokesperson of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Ahmed al-Mesmary stated on June 15 that 19-22 Egyptian workers were kidnapped from Tarhouna by Al-Hazm militia and are held in Misrata.
The video showed the group of Egyptians while standing with their hands raised, as a form of punishment and humiliation, and forced to chant against President Sisi. Egyptian Parliament and Immigration Ministry have promised a strong response.
In a statement, the Libyan Interior Ministry said it could detect the place where the Egyptian expats were held and define the identity of those involved in the incident and arrest them.
The ministry said it would refer the perpetrators to the Attorney General’s office.
The ministry could also the identity all the freed Egyptian citizens, the statement read, adding that they are all fine and free and are doing their work normally. Their statements would be heard soon, in order to ensure their legal rights in the case.
“The Ministry of Interior affirms that the historical relations tying the Libyan and Egyptian people cannot be undermined by individual actions that do not represent the Libyan state or the customs and values of the Libyan people,” the statement read.
“Political differences among nations cannot in any way affect love and brotherhood between the Libyan and Egyptian peoples.”