Sisi warns against attempts to question Egypt's coronavirus efforts

BY

Thu, 28 May 2020 - 11:14 GMT

FILE – President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi – Reuters

FILE – President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi – Reuters

CAIRO – 28 May 2020: Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El Sisi on Thursday has warned against attempts by “lurking enemies of the homeland” to question the state’s efforts and accomplishments in the face of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

In a Facebook post, Sisi said that such attempts are taking place while the Egyptian government and people are exerting efforts to face the pandemic, continue implementing development plans, and preserving economic stability in light of these hard circumstances.

He has reaffirmed his trust in the Egyptian people, who always show “toughness” and ability to face and combat such hostile “campaigns.”

“We stand together in an important moment in the age of the homeland to face the coronavirus pandemic,” Sisi said, adding that this battle requires “everyone to continue cooperation and solidarity, to pass this ordeal in peace and to preserve the success we have achieved in different fields.”

Sisi last week said the coronavirus crisis in Egypt is managed in a scientific and professional way, affirming that the current number of reported cases is still within the normal range.



The Egyptian state has focused on refuting rumors and urging citizens to take information only from official and credible sources. Also, those who intentionally spread rumors about the novel coronavirus can face a five-year imprisonment sentence, the public prosecution said late in March.

In a press statement, the prosecution said that legal action will be taken in conformity with articles no. (80), (102) and (188) of the criminal law.

The Egyptian Health Ministry in its daily briefing on Wednesday said 910 people have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) in Egypt over the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 19,666.

The ministry also reported 19 deaths due to the novel virus, upping the total number to 816.

Also, the test results of 5,798 people turned from positive to negative, the ministry said, including 5,205 people who totally recovered. It added that 178 patients left hospitals.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Recommend Article