Laboratory technicians get ready during a coronavirus analysis simulation at the Malbran institute in Buenos Aires, Argentina February 29, 2020. Picture taken February 29, 2020. REUTERS/Agustin Marcarian
CAIRO – 29 April 2020: 14 people, including a woman and her child, in a quarantine hospital in Upper Egypt’s Luxor governorate have recovered from coronavirus (COVID-19) and left hospital, said the general manager of the hospital.
During the past 48 hours, the Esna Hospital recorded 16 recoveries, Elham Mahmoud said, bringing the total number of recovered cases in the hospital to 214. The hospital has 102 positive cases, including 26 in the intensive care units, Mahmoud said, adding that 39 patients have died since March 14th.
On Tuesday, a woman infected with coronavirus at the hospital gave birth, Mahmoud said, affirming that the mother and her baby are in good health. This is the third pregnant woman to give birth in Esna Hospital via cesarean section while infected with the novel virus.
CAIRO - 13 April 2020: Prime Minister's Media Advisor Hany Younes posted photos for two newborn babies, saying that two women in Egypt infected with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) gave birth successfully at dawn.
This comes while Egyptian Health Minister Hala Zayed in March warned against visiting the older people or pregnant women, considering them at a higher risk of complications in the event of contracting the deadly virus.
However, no reported deaths of pregnant women have been so far reported. Many experts also affirmed that there is no evidence that pregnant women are at an increased risk of miscarriage or developing severe symptoms. Also, no evidence shows that they can transmit the disease to their unborn children, although some reports suggest that this can happen.
Worldwide, the novel virus has so far caused the death of around 219,267 people, according to Worldometers, while the total number of cases stands at around 3,160,800 at the moment.
Egypt recorded, Tuesday new 260 coronavirus, COVID-19 cases and 22 deaths, raising the total number of infections in Egypt to 5.042 and the total deaths to 359 according to the daily briefing of the ministry of health.
The ministry spokesperson Khaled Megahed explained that all new recorded patients during the past 24 hours are Egyptians.
According to the statement, out of 1,669 patients confirmed to be negative; 1304 were discharged from the hospital after being completely recovered.
All positive cases are placed under quarantine at isolation hospitals, the spokesman said.
Health Minster Hala Zayed urged any citizen who feels the virus symptoms to head to the nearest hospital to be tested along with preserving the social distance and abiding by the precautionary procedures imposed by the government.
President Abdel Fattah al Sisi ordered Tuesday providing all needed medical supplies to the quarantine and isolation hospitals all over the country.