Egypt voices support for Riyadh deal on Yemen, hails Saudi, Emirati efforts

BY

Mon, 27 Apr 2020 - 03:05 GMT

FILE: Egypt's Ministry of Foreign Affairs

FILE: Egypt's Ministry of Foreign Affairs

CAIRO – 27 April 2020: The Egyptian Foreign Ministry voiced support for the Riyadh agreement in 2019, which aims to settle the crisis in Yemen and called for cancelling any step that contradicts with this agreement.

Egypt is part of the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi militia in Yemen.

The Riyadh agreement was signed between the Yemeni government and the Southern Transitional Council in the Saudi capital, with the participation of the Arab coalition in Yemen. The agreement was reached under the auspices of King Salman of Saudi Arabia and with the attendance of the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

In a statement on Monday, the ministry said Egypt backs the statement issued by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, which affirms the need to stick to the articles of the Riyadh agreement, in an effort to serve the interests of the Yemeni people, restore the Yemeni state and face the terrorist groups.

“The Arab Republic of Egypt reaffirms its support for the efforts of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which aim at establishing peace, security and stability in Yemen,” the ministry’s statement read.

These efforts seek “guaranteeing [Yemen’s] unity and territorial integrity, alleviating the suffering of the brotherly Yemeni people, reaching a comprehensive political solution to the Yemeni crisis in accordance with the relevant references.”

Sisi, Bahraini king talk fostering cooperation, laud Riyadh agreement

CAIRO - 8 November 2019: Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa hailed his country's strong relations with Egypt and the developmental progress Egypt is witnessing, in a meeting with President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi on Thursday in Cairo, the Presidency said.




The coalition earlier in April announced a two-week ceasefire in the war-torn country and renewed it for a month shortly before the beginning of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

“The coalition’s command reaffirms that there is still an opportunity to focus all efforts in order to achieve a comprehensive and permanent ceasefire,” coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Maliki said.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Recommend Article

Be Social