A microbus is filled up with fuel by an employe at a petrol station in Cairo, Egypt June 29, 2017. Reuters/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
CAIRO – 17 April 2020: The Egyptian Cabinet spokesman on Thursday said all public transportation will be banned on Monday April 20th, which marks the Egyptian celebration of Sham El-Nessim, as part of the precautionary measures to curb the spread of coronavirus.
On Sunday, during the Christian Easter Sunday celebrations, only the ordinary dusk-to-dawn curfew will be imposed, spokesman Nader Saad said.
Private transportation, including the microbuses and taxis will not be included in the decision, Saad said in an interview with CBC. However, all places that can have large gatherings in coastal and other cities will be closed.
Gatherings in front of beaches and public places are banned, he said, adding that the authorities will watch beaches and villages and will deal decisively with violators by imposing fines.
Egyptian Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli on Wednesday ordered “full closure” of public gardens, beaches and any other place that can have large gatherings, few days before Easter and Sham El-Nessim, in a bid to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Public gardens, clubs, cafes and most of the malls in the northeastern African country have been already closed since March, while a dusk-to-dawn is also imposed.
President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi warned that the state will firmly face any breach that may harm the nation and people.
Addressing the masses of the “great” Egyptian people on a Facebook post, Sisi hailed their “steadfastness” and solidarity with the state authorities to implement the precautionary measures against the novel COVID-19.
“I renew my trust in the awareness of our great people,” Sisi said. “I affirm that the state will face, with complete firmness, any violations or breaches that harm the interest of the homeland and citizens, in order to overcome this ordeal peacefully and preserve the success we have achieved so far.”