Egyptian Youm7 newspaper launches initiative to back medical staff over coronavirus

BY

Mon, 06 Apr 2020 - 04:36 GMT

Nurses wearing protective suits, prepare a patient with coronavirus to be transferred to Masih Daneshvari Hospital in Tehran. Iran’s 2,987 new coronavirus cases brought the total to 47,593. (West Asia News Agency/Reuters)

Nurses wearing protective suits, prepare a patient with coronavirus to be transferred to Masih Daneshvari Hospital in Tehran. Iran’s 2,987 new coronavirus cases brought the total to 47,593. (West Asia News Agency/Reuters)

CAIRO – 6 April 2020: Khaled Salah, editor-in-chief of the daily private newspaper, Youm7, announced launching a new initiative to back Egypt’s “white army,” referring to the medical staff battling coronavirus (COVID-19).

Doctors and nurses nationwide and worldwide have been in the front line in the battle against coronavirus, which has been so far contracted by over 1.29 million people around the world, including 1,173 in the northeastern African country. According to Newsweek on April 3, more than 100 doctors worldwide died of coronavirus.

The initiative, dubbed “Support the White Army,” has been launched to pay tribute to the “heroes” of the medical staff nationwide, due to their national role in fighting the novel pandemic, Salah said.

The initiative is presented through the Youm7 institution and other publications affiliated to it, within the framework of the national role currently played by media in supporting the country during the crisis, he added.



It addresses companies, businesses and investors, within the framework of the social responsibility of these companies, and the need to work on lightening the burden on the medical staff inside hospitals in the Egyptian governorates, Salah noted.

The participation of companies and businesses in this initiative can take various forms, Salah said, including introducing special discounts or other benefits from retail chains or other shops such as restaurants, to the doctors and nurses.

He affirmed that the Egyptian businessmen always have a great sense of responsibility and that they back the role of the medical staff in facing the coronavirus crisis, which represents a fierce challenge facing humanity.

Since the crisis started, Youm7 has published photos for Salah while meeting with staff via video conference instead of the face-to-face meetings, to help curb the spread of coronavirus.

Egypt’s Women Council pays tribute to female doctors, nurses battling coronavirus

CAIRO – 5 April 2020: Maya Morsy, head of the National Council for Women, Egypt’s only national independent women organization, paid tribute to the medical teams nationwide, who have been directly involved in the fight against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).




Late in March, the Egyptian Medical Syndicate confirmed the death of the first doctor in Egypt due to coronavirus. Ahmed Al-Lawah, 57, died in a quarantine hospital in Ismailia in northeastern Egypt.

Also, the country’s National Cancer Institute (NCI) was closed after detecting 17 positive cases of coronavirus among the medical staff.

On March 29th, President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi ordered Sunday to boost the allowance of those working in the medical field by a 75 percent increase as a gesture of appreciation for their current efforts to contain the threat of coronavirus.

The president’s directions came during a meeting that included prime minister Mustafa Madbouli, ministers of defense and military production, minister of higher education, minister of finance, and minister of health to discuss the current situation.

Sisi praised the efforts exerted by the medical doctors and ordered to allocate 2.25 billion pounds to boost medical staffers’ allowance, he also issued a directive about launching a risk fund for doctors and workers in the medical field.

The president ordered to issue exceptional rewards for the workers at quarantine, chest, and fever hospitals.

Daily report

On Sunday, the Egyptian Ministry of Health recorded 103 positive cases for novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 7 deaths, also 6 patients were released from a quarantine hospital after recovering from Coronavirus, added the ministry’s statement.

The number of cases who tested negative for Coronavirus after being quarantined rose to 346, 274 of them are fully recovered, the ministry’s spokesperson Khaled Megahed.

The new positive cases are all Egyptian but one foreigner, some of the positive cases were recently returned from abroad, added Megahed.

The total of the cases who contracted the infectious virus became 1173 that include 247 recovered and 78 deaths, according to the Egyptian ministry of health.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Recommend Article

Be Social