A medical staff of general practitioners walk to their coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test center set up outside a doctor's office in a tent at Berlin's Reinickendorf district, Germany, March 23, 2020. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch
CAIRO – 23 March 2020: Egypt’s Ministry of Health decided to temporarily halt all operations in al-Shorouk hospital in Haram district, Giza, and quarantine all the working staff, after one of its doctors was tested positive for the emerging coronavirus (COVID-19).
The hospital announced in a statement that the procedure is temporary and precautionary.
The ministry’s spokesman, Khaled Megahed, said in statements to Sada al-Balad channel that precautionary measures taken by the government will contribute to reducing the number of COVID-19 cases on the long run.
He added that Egypt didn’t reach the third stage of the virus spread.
"New 33 coronavirus cases were detected on Sunday. All of these new cases are Egyptians who came in contact with other positive cases," according to Megahed.
The new announcement raises the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Egypt to 327. “All positive cases were quarantined at hospitals,” Megahed said. Also, four more deaths were confirmed, raising the total number of deaths to 14.
The new fatalities were a 51-year-old Egyptian woman, an 80-year-old man, a 73-year-old man, and a 56-year-old man.
"Up to 56 coronavirus patients have totally recovered so far," the spokesman said.