FILE- Students attend class on the first day of their new school year at a government school in Giza, south of Cairo, September 22, 2013 (Photo: Reuters)
CAIRO - 20 March 2020: Egypt’s Ministry of Education cancelled final examination for primary and preparatory school students amid the fears of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, announced minister Tareq Shawki on Thursday evening.
In a televised speech, Minister Tareq Shawki reviewed the ministry’s plan to facilitate e-educational methods for the students who stay at home after president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi decreed suspension of the study at schools and universities nationwide amid the outbreak of coronavirus pandemic for two weeks starting from March 15, 2020.
Shawki announced that all final exams of primary grades and first and second primary grades are cancelled due to the virus outbreak, and noted that every student of these grades should provide research on every subject.
Within four days, the ministry established a sub-website that contains all study materials in English and Aabic for all students starting from Kindergarten (KG) grades to secondary grade on https://www.ekb.eg/ar/home .
“Our students can access the e-library from mobile phones or computers without any obstacles," he said, noting that the ministry has also provided another educational alternative as T.V. channels will broadcast the explanation of the curricula.
The ministry added that another website [https://edmodo.org] has been created to help teachers communicate online with the students, continuing that the ministry will publish a set of videos to show how to deal with the newly-created websites.
As for the first and second secondary grades, the final tests will be conducted online on their tablets and results will be sent to the students electronically, the minister said.
On his official Facebook account, the ministry said that those who fail in providing their researches will start next academic year two weeks earlier in order to re-study the materials again.
In an interview with Yahdoth fi Misr [Happens in Egypt] talk show on MBC channel on Thursday evening, the minister announced that the suspension of the study is likely to last more than the announced period.
The Egyptian government is taking gradual steps in dealing with the coronavirus spread, starting from banning the study at schools and universities and suspending the international flights to the end of March. Recently, All restaurants, cafes, cafeterias, casinos, night clubs, bars, shopping centers (malls), and other local shops will shut down from 7:00 pm (Cairo time) to 6:00 pm across the nation as of Thursday until March 31.
Egypt’s Ministry of Health announced on Thursday evening that 46 new coronavirus cases were confirmed, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 256, including 7 deaths so far. However, the number of recovered people reached 42 cases.
As yet the global infected cases of the virus reached 255,796 people and 10,495 deaths were reported, while the recovered cases rose to 89,918. On March 10, 2020, the virus was announced a global pandemic by the World Health Organization.