EgyptAir jet - Official website
CAIRO - 20 February 2020: After less than a month of suspension over the coronavirus outbreak, state-owned flag carrier EgyptAir said it would operate a weekly Cairo-Beijing-Guangzhou flight as of next Thursday, February 27th.
In a statement on Thursday, the company said the decision was taken in response to requests for travelling to China.
The company will follow up the situation on a regular basis to decide whether to increase the number of flights according to demand, it added.
EgyptAir suspended flights to China earlier this month in the Asian state and announced it would decide on the resumption of flights to Chinese cities in view of travel requests.
While the new virus, which emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, had stayed away from Africa, Egyptian Health Ministry and the World Health Organization (WHO) in February confirmed the country’s first case, a Chinese national who local authorities later said was moved to Matrouh governorate, in the northwestern part of the country, to be placed under quarantine.
Health Minister Hala Zayed said the only coronavirus case recorded in Egypt has shown no symptoms, and all those who dealt with him tested negative for the deadly virus but will be monitored for 15 days.
The building where the case was in was evacuated, sterilized and became usable, Zayed said, in an interview with Kol Youm program on ON E TV.
MENA contributed to the reporting.