Cabinet says Egypt free of coronavirus, denies adjourning academic term

BY

Fri, 07 Feb 2020 - 12:17 GMT

A health worker uses an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of a tourist who arrives at Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport, Thailand, January 25, 2020. REUTERS/Panumas Sanguanwong

A health worker uses an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of a tourist who arrives at Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport, Thailand, January 25, 2020. REUTERS/Panumas Sanguanwong

CAIRO – 7 February 2020: While coronavirus has killed over 630 people by Friday, according to CNN, since it emerged in December in Central China’s Hubei province, particularly in Wuhan, the Egyptian authorities has reiterated on a daily basis that no cases of the deadly virus were recorded so far in Egypt.

According to CNN, the new virus has spread to more than 25 countries, including Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Japan, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, France, Germany, Italy, Singapore and South Korea.

The Egyptian Cabinet denied on Friday reports circulated on social media about coronavirus cases at the Suez Canal Authority Hospitals.

The cabinet media center said it contacted the Suez Canal Authority (SCA) which categorically dismissed the news, asserting that no coronavirus cases were detected at its affiliate hospitals.

The authority said that its hospitals have taken precautionary measures to prevent the novel coronavirus, adding that all needed medical procedures are taken towards any suspected coronavirus cases as part of the state's keenness to prevent the spread of epidemics on its lands.

The Suez Canal hospital no. 6 received a woman suffering from fever and breathing problems after returning from Saudi Arabia where she was performing Umrah. The case was immediately isolated and blood sample was taken from her and sent to the central laboratories affiliated to the Health Ministry.

The case is currently receiving all medical care and the hospital is waiting for the lab results.

Concerning education, the Cabinet denied reports circulated on social media claiming that the ministries of education and higher education decided to postpone the start of the second academic term for two weeks over coronavirus fears.

The cabinet media center said it contacted both ministries which denied the news, describing them as baseless. Both ministries asserted that there is no intention to postpone the second academic term at schools and universities.

Both ministries said that the second academic year will start on Saturday, February 8 in accordance to the previously set timetable.

The ministries asserted that all needed precautionary measures have been taken in coordination with the bodies concerned to prevent coronavirus.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Recommend Article

Be Social