Emergency personnel work at the site of a collapsed building in the town of Durres, following Tuesday's powerful earthquake that shook Albania, November 27, 2019. REUTERS/Florion Goga
TIRANA - 28 November 2019: Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama put the death toll from the deadly quake that struck Albania's Adriatic coast at 39 after authorities said six more bodies had been recovered from the northwestern town of Thumane and two from the port city of Durres, 20 miles (33 kilometers) west of the capital, Tirana.
Two days after the deadly quake, hopes were fading Thursday of finding anyone else alive beneath the rubble of collapsed buildings, with the death toll rising after more bodies were pulled from the ruins overnight, ABC news reported.
More than 650 people were injured in the 6.4 magnitude earthquake when it struck before dawn Tuesday.
Authorities said the search operation had ended in Thumane, with no more people believed to be missing in the collapsed buildings there. It continued, however, in Durres.
Italian rescue teams had sought on Wednesday to save six family members, including twin toddlers, trapped under rubble when their house collapsed after Albania’s worst earthquake in decades.
If the death toll continues to rise, the earthquake could be deadlier than one in 1979 in which 40 people were killed.
Leave a Comment