A pack of medicine distributed by Ibnsina Pharma- Photo courtesy of company website
CAIRO – 23 July 2019: The draft law establishing the Egyptian Drug Authority and the Egyptian Authority for Purchasing Medical Supplies and the Department of Medical Technology is one of the most vital legislations in the field of medicine approved by the House of Representatives headed by Ali Abdel-Aal.
The establishment of these authorities aims at developing the health system and medical industries, providing medication on a regular basis, countering monopolistic practices in the medical sector,and fighting the phenomenon of counterfeit medicines.
According to the law, the Egyptian Drug Authority is a public service body affiliated to the prime minister. The establishment of a main headquarters is also to be determined the prime minister.
The law states that the Egyptian Drug Authority replaces the National Authority for Drug Control and Research established by the Presidential Decree No. 382 of 1976 and the National Commission for Research and Control of Biologics established by Presidential Decree No. 398 of 1995 and other bodies.
Furthermore, the law stipulates that the Egyptian Medicine Authority replaces the Ministry of Health and Population and the chairman of its board of directors replaces the minister of health and population in the specialties stipulated in Law No. 127 of 1955 regarding practicing the pharmacy profession, regulating the registration, as well as handling and controlling medical preparations and supplies.
et reviews other objectives of the Egyptian Drug Authority
- Establish policies, rules and regulations for all matters related to the organization, implementation and control of the production and circulation of pharmaceuticals, medical supplies and raw materials, and verifying their quality and effectiveness inside and outside Egypt.
- Develop the effectiveness and quality of pharmaceuticals and raw materials in accordance with scientific innovations that should be used in diagnosis, treatment or prevention.
- Establish accurate and permanent rules for all medical preparations and raw materials provided for in the provisions of this law.
- Raise awareness in the community, communicate health messages and documented information about medicine to the professionals and the public.
- Proposal and expression of views on draft laws, regulations and decisions concerning medical preparations, raw materials and related organizational matters.
- Cooperation and coordination with national and international organizations concerned with public health products and services to achieve the objectives of the commission, and participate in and organize local and international conferences where necessary.