An injured person is loaded into an ambulance following a shooting at the Al Nour mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 15, 2019. REUTERS/SNPA
WELLINGTON, March 20 (MENA) - A two-minute silence will be held on Friday to commemorate the one-week anniversary of last week's massacre, NZ Herald paper reported on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern made the announcement during a visit to Christchurch today.
In a separate event, state broadcasters Radio NZ and TVNZ will also play the Islamic call to prayer.
Two minutes' silence was chosen over the usual one minute because of the magnitude of the tragedy; a two-minute silence also took place to commemorate the Pike River explosions in 2010.
The first burial of those who died took place today - two refugees from Syria - and Ardern said they should have been safe in New Zealand.
She confirmed 30 of the 50 bodies of those who died had now been returned to their families.
Many families have expressed frustration at the length of time it has taken for bodies to be returned, and Ardern said she shared that frustration.
That had nothing to do with a lack of resources, she said, but the complex process of identification.