CAIRO – 10 March 2019: The Supreme Court rejected Saturday, March 9 appeals to exclude Diaa Rashwan from candidacy to the Press Syndicate's chairman post.
The Supreme Court supported Rashwan’s right to run in the election, stating that Rashwan is an activate journalist and being chairman of the State Information Service does not contradict with his candidacy.
Lawyer Ali Ayyoub has filed a lawsuit against Rashwan claiming his invalidity to be elected in the Press Syndicate as he occupies the position of chairman of the State Information Service.
Yet, these charges are invalid because Ibrahim Nafae was once the chairman of the Press Syndicate and chairman of State Information Service at the same time.
Rashwan vowed to improve the financial conditions of journalists and increase their monthly technology allowance. He said Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli and Minister of Finance Mohamed Maait had already agreed to increase the allowance by 25 percent in July to reach LE 2, 100.
Rashwan also promised to increase pensions, currently set at LE 1,450, by 20 percent, and spoke about the possibility of videographers and journalists working for online news services to join the syndicate.
The Press Syndicate membership is currently restricted to journalists working in print media and the syndicate’s law would have to be changed to allow the membership base to broaden.
Rashwan’s campaign slogan is “To Strengthen Unity”. He said that under his leadership the syndicate will not brook religious or partisan divisions, and promised to work to cement solidarity and foster constructive dialogue on public issues.
Rashwan, who headed the syndicate from 2013 to 2015, dismissed rumors that he was the candidate of the government.