File- Zamalek club logo
CAIRO – 11 November 2018: The Press Syndicate's board decided in an urgent meeting held Saturday to prohibit publishing the name or a photo of the Zamalek Club Chairman for a year, after a complaint was filed against him.
Violators will be referred to the syndicate for investigation, said head of Egypt's Press Syndicate Abdel Mohsen Salama.
The syndicate's board decided to file a complaint to the general prosecutor against the club's chairman, and asked Parliament to allow an investigation of him, Salama said.
The Zamalek Club chairman is a member in Egypt's House of Representatives. Many demands had been issued to the Parliament to lift the immunity of the controversial club's chairman, in order to allow investigating him. However, they were rejected by Parliament.
A number of journalists who are members of the club say they were prevented from entering the club and were assaulted by the club's security guards on Tuesday.
In a statement, the assaulted journalists condemned "the blatant assault", after the club's chairman ordered them to prevent them from entering the club, according to media reports.
"We were clearly assaulted and humiliated before club members of non-journalists, workers and passers-by in front of the main club door," the statement added.
In an interview with al-Shorouk, Salama said that the syndicate will also communicate with the Youth Ministry and the Egyptian Olympic Committee, affirming the syndicate's support to its members in the legal procedures they took against him.
A suggestion by the club's chairman to appear at the syndicate in order to resolve the crisis was rejected by the syndicate's board, said Salama, adding that further suggestions will be discussed by the board.
On October 20, the General Assembly of the Egyptian Olympic Committee decided to suspend the chairman of Zamalek club from practicing any sports activity for a two-year period.