Screenshot of Egypt's Armed Forces video of the air strikes
CAIRO – 28 May 2017: Libya has been proclaiming its support for Egypt's military campaign and its full solidarity with Egyptian authorities, from the moment the Egyptian Army launched its first retaliatory strike on terrorist camps in its western neighbor on Friday evening.
Hours after a massacre of 29 Coptic Christians in Minya on Friday, Egypt started a wave of air strikes, targeting training camps and the main center of the Shura Council for Mujahedin of Derna, which allegedly harbored the terrorist elements who carried the attack.
The strikes on Derna, eastern Libya, were held in cooperation with the general command of the Libyan armed forces; and Libyan officials have since then expressed their full support for Egypt's operations and its war against overseas terrorism.
Libyan Presidential Council: Egypt spearheads anti-terrorism war
In an official statement released Saturday, Deputy President of the Libyan Presidential Council of the Government of National Accord Ali Faraj al-Qatrani said that Libya is fully overwhelmed with the Egyptian authorities' operations, calling the latter "the spearhead of the war against terrorism."
Qatari stressed Libya's support to Egypt in the war against overseas terrorism, adding that the two countries have been coordinating together to fight terrorism in Egypt and Libya.
He further stated that terrorists committing crimes in both countries are funded by the same resource, aiming to destabilize the Egyptian societal peace.
Aguila Saleh: Libya backs Egypt in its war against terrorism
In a letter of mourning sent to President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi Saturday, the President of the Libyan Council of Representatives and the Supreme Commander of the Arab Armed Forces Aguila Saleh asserted his strongest condemnation of the "cowardly terrorist attack" and assured Libya's full support to Egypt’s leadership, government and people and in its war against terrorism and extremism.
Saleh further expressed his deepest condolences to the victims' families, on behalf of the Libyan Parliament members.
Libyan parliament backs Egypt in "sacred war against terrorism"
The Libyan House of Representatives strongly condemned the terror attack in Minya governorate, announcing their complete solidarity with Egypt in its war against terrorism, according to an official statement released Friday.
“We announce our complete solidarity with Egypt in its, and our, sacred war against terrorism and extremism, which are trying in vain to destroy Egypt and its unity,” the statement read.
Members of the Libyan parliament expressed their condolences to the families of the victims and appealed to the United Nation’s Security Council to take strict measures towards countries that support terrorism.
Libyan armed forces announce their collaboration with Egyptian army
Following Egypt's retaliatory attack in Libya on Friday, Head of the Libyan Air Force, Major-General Saqr Adam Geroushi, announced that the air strikes came in collaboration with the General Command of the Libyan Armed Forces.
Within hours of the attack in Minya, Sisi said in a televised statement that the country would not hesitate to strike at home or abroad against militants who mount attacks within Egypt's borders. Meanwhile, Egypt's air force were carrying out six intensive airstrikes on Derna, eastern Libya, targeting militants who had taken part in planning and executing the terrorist attack.
A second wave of air strikes resumed Saturday, with warning of further retaliation.