Siwa Oasis - CC via Flikr/Walid Hassanein
CAIRO - 10 August 2018: The Ministry of Environment denied its intention to offer 30 nature reserves to the right of use for the private sector for five to 10 years, asserting that nature reserves will remain under the control of the ministry.
In a report submitted to the Cabinet's Information and Decision Support Center (IDSC), environment ministry reviewed its plan to develop the neglected nature reserves, and ways to transform them into touristic sites by developing the reserves infrastructure through specialized private companies.
However, Minister of Environment Yasmine Fouad announced on August 5 a plan that offers 30 nature reserves to the right of use for five to 10 years.
This offer aims at developing the infrastructure of the reserves to create value add and encourage investments in this field, the minister said, adding that Egypt is considered to be one of the least countries in the world spending on garbage index.
Fouad stated that the ministry will begin with the reserves of Nabq and Wadi Degla, highlighting that the offer will be firstly presented to local companies and that foreign firms will be included at a further stage.
According to Article 33 of the Egyptian Constitution, the natural reserves are considered as public property of the State that cannot be sold, traded off, or owned by anyone under any circumstances.
Former Minister of Environment Khaled Fahmy said earlier that the ministry has developed sustainable development plan for these reserves.
The plan will focus on protecting the environment and providing services for visitors, which will increase investment in this field.
CAIRO - 5 August 2018: The Ministry of Environment is preparing to offer 30 nature reserves to the right of use for fiveto 10 years, Minister of Environment Yasmine Fouad said at the sideline of at the annual meetings of the African Caucus for the World Bank (WB) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
Leave a Comment