Magdalena Zuk the Polish tourist
CAIRO – 12 May 2017: The Polish foreign minister thanked his Egyptian counterpart in a phone call on Friday, for their cooperation in the undergoing investigations into the death of a Polish tourist in the Red Sea resort town of Marsa Alam.
According to a press statement issued by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday, Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry assured his Polish counterpart Witold Waszczykowski that Egypt will continue to support Poland and supply any information they require during the inquiry.
Last week, 27-year old Magdalena Zuk was announced dead after she fell out of a window at a hospital in the resort town.
On Wednesday, Egypt’s Forensic Authority completed the autopsy of the Polish tourist in the presence of a Polish detective. The examination’s final results are yet to be announced according to Egyptian officials.
Several Polish media reports claimed that Zuk was a victim of rape and sexual violence. The Egyptian hospital, which provided treatment to Zuk, denied this claim, saying that she committed suicide in the hospital due to her unstable mental state.
A statement issued by the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday said that it is communicating closely with the investigation team led by Egypt's Prosecution Office.
Both Egyptian and Polish foreign ministers said, during their phone call, that they look forward to the expected visit by the Polish president Andrzej Duda to Egypt this year.
The visit marks 90 years of diplomatic relations between both countries.